Friday, November 17, 2006

the beauty of biloxi

For those who don't know our story, it's a long one. Our first year of marriage included a wedding, a honeymoon baby, Jase adopted Ty and then the storm hit. Hurricane Katrina blew into our lives over a year ago and we are still dealing with the effects on a daily basis. The eye of the storm went right over our little town, hitting it with 195 mile per hour winds for hour after hour, and a 20 foot wall of water. Nothing has been the same since. We are rebuilding.

Jase and I went over to Biloxi for our 2nd wedding anniversary last weekend and like I said, we're probably the only crazies that go to a hurricane ravaged town worse off then our own for vacation. But the casino we stayed at is up and running (after rebuilding from over 20 feet of water) so off we went. And while I promised to leave my laptop behind, deep down Jase knew my camera was still going with us :) These first few pictures show you the beauty of Biloxi, as it is now. It was once a thriving beach front, vacation spot. Old homes, historic homes, lining the coast, older trees, southern charm.







The only problem is this: you have to be looking through a very small viewfinder to see the beauty. Destruction, devastation, is everywhere, mile after mile, the scope is overwhelming. It doesn't end. It makes me wish everyone could look through my camera to see a little bit of beauty in it, even just for a moment. This is a small sample of what you see, a full15 months after the storm...gone, mile after mile, several blocks inland. It's easy to get lost there now, you can't catch your bearings without landmarks or buildings.












and y'all, please excuse some of the blurry shots, most of these were taken while my hubby was driving 50 mph down Hwy 90....he's not much for slowing down so I can shoot :) Gotta love my 70-300 mm, I'd say the old girl kept up pretty good for 50 mph out the car window!

4 Comments:

Blogger Life In Motion said...

I promise to give everyone an update on our rebuild of the house really soon, I haven't in forever and I'm sorry. I'll do it soon!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Lyndsay, your pictures moved me to tears!
I can't believe ANYWHERE in OUR country is racked by devastation of this degree, this far out. Makes me so thankful that I am blessed, and that so many people survived despite a tragedy of this magnitude.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG,
I went to school in Ocean Springs for a summer. I had heard through the lab's website about how much was destroyed, but to see these pictures....it made my stomach turn. I still get sad when I hear that the aquarium run by the school was destroyed, and all the aquatic life that they housed was too....:(
I can't belive how much you guys have been through because of that stupid hurricane.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Wow! These pictures are beautiful. They really capture the beauty and devistation all in one. Thanks for sharing!

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home